Sure, I claim to know a thing or two about fashion but I have to admit, when I get an invitation and the dress code says “business casual” my heart skips a beat. Just what exactly IS business casual? Can I wear open toe sandals with a blazer on? Can I wear a short suit?
Here’s the thing, if I put “business casual” on an invitation, to me I’m telling the attendee to wear something they wouldn’t mind “meeting the parents” in if you know what I mean.
Being the visual person I am, here are some cool looks you can depend on when you’re trying to decipher that oh so tricky “business casual” trap.
[images via Pinterest]
One thing I should point out is “east coast” business casual is different than “west coast” business casual. Not that I’m trying to start a coast war but I’m sure many of you east coasters are probably shaking your head at a couple of the looks, and that’s fair. However, I think we can all walk away with a couple of good pointers.
1. Excessive cleavage is not business casual.
2. When in doubt, wear a lightweight blazer.
3. Consider your hemline. Shorts and skirts can work if worn at a conservative length.
4. Jeans pass. Just make sure they’re not your “errand day” jeans with the holes and tatters. The darker the wash the better.
5. You can’t go wrong with neutrals.
I hope these looks will help you pull together some fun ways to rock the business casual look to your next party of the century!